Close Menu
  • HOME
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Features
  • Security
  • Foreign News
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Tinubu Has Been Fair To All Sections Of Nigeria – FG
  • Former Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Solomon Arase Dies At 69
  • “APC Blasts Kayode Ojo, Says ‘You Can’t Hijack the Ticket of a Party You Don’t Respect’
  • Baltasar Engonga, Sentenced To 8 Years Imprisonment For Embezzlement
  • Oyo Debunks Rumoured Closure of Bola Ige Int’l Business Complex
  • President Tinubu Urges Nigerians In Diaspora Not To Stay Away From Home, Says Nigeria Is On The Rise Again
  • President Tinubu Expands Healthcare Access with Subsidized Dialysis
  • 2027 House Of Reps Hopeful, Ademola Agoro Installed As Patron, Osun NYCN ..calls for meaningful empowerment The National Youth Council of Nigeria, Osun State, on Saturday installed the Managing Director, Protogy Global, Engr Ademola Isaac Agoro as Patron. This was at the 2025 International Youth Day celebration in Osogbo with the theme “Youth Advancing Multilateral Cooperation through Technology and Partnership.” In his keynote, Engr. Agoro explained that youth empowerment must be seen as a strategic investment in Osun’s future. He called for the establishment of technology and innovation hubs, a Youth Development Fund, and stronger youth–industry partnerships. Engr. Agoro expressed deep gratitude for the honor and pledged to further champion youth causes in the state: “This investiture is not just a personal recognition; it is a call to greater service. I dedicate this honor to the vibrant young people of Osun State, whose resilience and creativity continue to inspire us all. “As Patron of the National Youth Council of Nigeria, Osun State Chapter, I will work closely with government, industry, and development partners to open more doors of opportunity for our youth. Together, we will ensure that the dreams of Osun youth translate into tangible achievements that uplift our state and our nation.” In his goodwill message, Hon. Olagunju Moshood Olalekan, Commissioner for Youth Affairs, reaffirmed the government’s commitment to youth-focused policies, praising their resilience and innovation. Oba (Dr.) Michael Odunayo Àjàyí, the Elerinmo of Erinmo-Ijesha, urged young people to blend innovation with discipline, while upholding cultural values as the bedrock of sustainable progress. Captains of industry at the event pledged stronger support for youth-led ventures through mentorship, funding, and partnerships. The celebration concluded with optimism and renewed commitment, as stakeholders affirmed that Osun youth are not just beneficiaries of development but active leaders and partners in building a prosperous future for the state and Nigeria at large. The high-profile event was graced by His Royal Majesty, Oba (Dr.) Michael Odunayo Àjàyí (Arowotawaya II), the Elerinmo of Erinmo-Ijesha Kingdom, the Honourable Commissioner for Youth Affairs, Osun State, Hon. Olagunju Moshood Olalekan, other distinguished royal fathers, top government officials, and captains of industry.
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Nigerian Alert
  • HOME
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Features
  • Security
  • Foreign News
Nigerian Alert
Home » Afenifere Commiserates Over Fire Incident In Ooni’s Palace

Afenifere Commiserates Over Fire Incident In Ooni’s Palace

Lekan Shobo ShobowaleBy Lekan Shobo ShobowaleMay 3, 20235 Mins Read
WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email Telegram LinkedIn
Share
WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Telegram
Top Ads ..

Afenifere Commiserates Over Fire Incident In Ooni’s Palace
… Laments trillions Nigerians are losing to electricity surge
… Decries level of negligence and suggests way out

Wednesday May 3, 2023

The pan Yoruba socio-political organization, Afenifere, has expressed shock over the fire incident that razed one of the buildings in the palace of Oonirisa, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi Ojaja II last week Friday.

In a release signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Comrade Jare Ajayi, Afenifere, joined the highly revered monarch and the people of Ile-Ife (The Source) in thanking God that no life was lost to the inferno. It also prays that no such thing should happen again anywhere in Yorubaland and in any part of the country, Nigeria.

“For this prayer to be perpetually answered however, there are some introspections that must be done and some salient steps that must be taken. The introspections begin with tracing the cause or causes of the incessant fire outbreaks in the country, what our attitude to them had been and what can be done to ameliorate, if not totally stop such incidents, especially those that were not due to Providence”, Ajayi submitted.

He went further to disclose that in the year 2022 alone, Nigeria recorded 2,056 fire incidents with losses of over one trillion naira in properties, going by the statistics supplied by the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Taoreed Lagbaja. The army general gave the data during a fire prevention management sensitization seminar held in the premises of the Army Division in Kaduna in March this year. The figure was 2,650 the year before (2021) going by the information sourced from the National Fire Statistics and circulated by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) at the beginning of February 2022.

The report by the Nigeria’s Federal Fire Service (NFFS) indicated that well over a thousand of fire cases were due to electrical sparks while 567 cases were attributed to ‘unknown causes’. High voltage from electricity, candles, illegal storage of petroleum products, and building collapse were also fingered as causes of inferno during the said year.

Ajayi recalled that several big markets in major cities across the country recorded incidents of fire outbreaks resulting in loss of money running into billions, if not trillions, in the last few years. Only last week, Bodija Sawmill in Ibadan went up in flames late afternoon. It was the falling rain that prevented the rain from engulfing almost half of the big plank market. But goods and sheds running into millions were lost.
Instances of such abound in various parts of the country as stated interalia.

What are we to do to prevent re-occurrence?
Reports, as confirmed by Ooni’s spokesman, Comrade Moses Olafare, stated that the fire that engulfed the building in the palace was caused by high voltage when power was restored to the area. As indicated above, what happened at Ooni’s palace was not an isolated case.

Unfortunate and preventable as it was, it might not be the last going by our attitude in Nigeria.

On the steps to take to prevent re-occurrence, Ajayi averred: “The first steps begin with admission by all of us, especially those at the helm of affairs, that nobility does not seem to mean much to us any longer. And that unless we re-engrained this in our system, avoidable misfortunes may continue to occur. In this respect, the first step should be the reviewing of that aspect of the law that makes if difficult, if not impossible, for victims to sue the Power Holding Company even when the company is responsible for the power outbreak. And irrespective of colossal damages the company’s negligence causes in terms of human lives and properties. If PHCN – or any other organization rendering services – knows that there would be consequences for its actions, it would be more careful.”

He added that there ought to be a mechanism in the company’s arsenal to measure the amount of electric current going out at any given time. “I believe that there is. But the officers in charge do not care to pay attention so as to quickly take action when the rate is going beyond normal.

Were this to be the case, it would be easy to prevent fire surge – or reduce its incidence considerably. After-all, electrical powers are used in some other climes without incidents of electricity-related conflagrations being as pervasive as they are in our own clime here.

There is no magic as to how they do this.
“Also, the reason for people storing petroleum products should be addressed by ensuring that it is available when and where needed at affordable prices.

“The laws on fire safety must be strictly enforced just as requisite wherewithal must be regularly provided to fire service and all those who are to ensure safety in that sector.

Finally, Nigerians should develop the attitude of valuing life more than any other thing – besides their integrity!”

Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Email LinkedIn
Previous ArticleOsun: Oyetola inaugurates 11-member committee to reposition APC
Next Article Akande-Sadipe Declares Interest in Deputy Speakership

Related Posts

Tinubu Has Been Fair To All Sections Of Nigeria – FG

August 31, 2025

Former Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Solomon Arase Dies At 69

August 31, 2025

Baltasar Engonga, Sentenced To 8 Years Imprisonment For Embezzlement

August 27, 2025
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Ads
Ads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
© 2025 Nigerian Alert. Designed by Samtech Media.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.