Close Menu
  • HOME
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Features
  • Security
  • Foreign News
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • “APC Blasts Kayode Ojo, Says ‘You Can’t Hijack the Ticket of a Party You Don’t Respect’
  • Baltasar Engonga, Sentenced To 8 Years Imprisonment For Embezzlement
  • Oyo Debunks Rumoured Closure of Bola Ige Int’l Business Complex
  • President Tinubu Urges Nigerians In Diaspora Not To Stay Away From Home, Says Nigeria Is On The Rise Again
  • President Tinubu Expands Healthcare Access with Subsidized Dialysis
  • 2027 House Of Reps Hopeful, Ademola Agoro Installed As Patron, Osun NYCN ..calls for meaningful empowerment The National Youth Council of Nigeria, Osun State, on Saturday installed the Managing Director, Protogy Global, Engr Ademola Isaac Agoro as Patron. This was at the 2025 International Youth Day celebration in Osogbo with the theme “Youth Advancing Multilateral Cooperation through Technology and Partnership.” In his keynote, Engr. Agoro explained that youth empowerment must be seen as a strategic investment in Osun’s future. He called for the establishment of technology and innovation hubs, a Youth Development Fund, and stronger youth–industry partnerships. Engr. Agoro expressed deep gratitude for the honor and pledged to further champion youth causes in the state: “This investiture is not just a personal recognition; it is a call to greater service. I dedicate this honor to the vibrant young people of Osun State, whose resilience and creativity continue to inspire us all. “As Patron of the National Youth Council of Nigeria, Osun State Chapter, I will work closely with government, industry, and development partners to open more doors of opportunity for our youth. Together, we will ensure that the dreams of Osun youth translate into tangible achievements that uplift our state and our nation.” In his goodwill message, Hon. Olagunju Moshood Olalekan, Commissioner for Youth Affairs, reaffirmed the government’s commitment to youth-focused policies, praising their resilience and innovation. Oba (Dr.) Michael Odunayo Àjàyí, the Elerinmo of Erinmo-Ijesha, urged young people to blend innovation with discipline, while upholding cultural values as the bedrock of sustainable progress. Captains of industry at the event pledged stronger support for youth-led ventures through mentorship, funding, and partnerships. The celebration concluded with optimism and renewed commitment, as stakeholders affirmed that Osun youth are not just beneficiaries of development but active leaders and partners in building a prosperous future for the state and Nigeria at large. The high-profile event was graced by His Royal Majesty, Oba (Dr.) Michael Odunayo Àjàyí (Arowotawaya II), the Elerinmo of Erinmo-Ijesha Kingdom, the Honourable Commissioner for Youth Affairs, Osun State, Hon. Olagunju Moshood Olalekan, other distinguished royal fathers, top government officials, and captains of industry.
  • Family Holds Special Fidau Prayer For Late Alhaja Sikiratu Aina
  • Oyo APC Warns Makinde Over Using Akinremi’s Name to Cover up Trans Amusement Park Land Scam
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Nigerian Alert
  • HOME
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Features
  • Security
  • Foreign News
Nigerian Alert
Home » Court Overturns Rape Verdict of Lagos Based Medical Doctor

Court Overturns Rape Verdict of Lagos Based Medical Doctor

Lekan Shobo ShobowaleBy Lekan Shobo ShobowaleNovember 29, 20243 Mins Read
WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email Telegram LinkedIn
Share
WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Telegram
Top Ads ..

Court Overturns Rape Verdict of Lagos Based Medical Doctor

The Lagos Division of the Court of Appeal on Friday, November 29, 2024, nullified the rape conviction of Dr. Olufemi Olaleye, Medical Director of Optimal Cancer Care Foundation, overturning the life sentence handed down to him by a lower court earlier this year.

Olaleye had been convicted of defiling his wife’s 16-year-old niece but has now been acquitted by the appellate court.

Olaleye, who had challenged his conviction on two counts of defilement and sexual assault by penetration, had filed the appeal after his sentencing in October 2023.

In a controversial ruling, Justice Rahman Oshodi of the Lagos State Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court had sentenced him to life imprisonment, stating that the prosecution had presented compelling evidence that Olaleye committed the crime.

The trial court had heavily relied on Olaleye’s confessional statement, made to his former lawyer and police officers, which he later denied during the trial.

Justice Oshodi also emphasized the witness testimonies, including that of Olaleye’s wife, Oluremi, who had corroborated the allegations of sexual assault against the defendant.

However, the three-member panel at the Court of Appeal, led by Justice Jimi Olukayode Bada, ruled that the lower court had erred in its judgment.

The appeal court found that the evidence presented by Oluremi and the alleged survivor was unreliable and tainted by personal motives.

In the lead judgment delivered by Justice Bada, the panel highlighted Oluremi’s actions, which it concluded were driven by greed and a desire to seize Olaleye’s assets following his incarceration.

The court noted that Oluremi’s testimony had been compromised by her apparent financial interests, casting doubt on the entire case.

Additionally, the appeal court found significant flaws in the prosecution’s evidence, particularly the testimonies related to the age of the alleged victim.

The court ruled that none of the witnesses could provide direct evidence regarding the survivor’s birth, rendering their claims inadmissible. The court described the medical and forensic testimonies as “worthless” and criticized the trial judge for intervening in the prosecution’s case.

The appellate court further pointed out that crucial witnesses, including two family members who had allegedly witnessed Olaleye’s confession, were never called to testify. It declared that the lower court had improperly relied on “hearsay evidence” to make its decision.

In light of these critical issues, the appeal court discharged and acquitted Dr. Olufemi Olaleye, effectively reversing the previous conviction.

The ruling has sparked debates regarding the reliability of testimonies in sexual assault cases and the potential consequences of miscarriages of justice.

The three justices of the appellate court – Jimi Olukayode Bada, Mohammad Sirajo, and Folasade Ojo – ruled unanimously in favor of Olaleye, marking a significant turn of events in the high-profile case.

This decision has once again put the spotlight on the challenges surrounding the prosecution of sexual assault cases in Nigeria, especially when accusations are compounded by complex personal and familial disputes.

We do everything possible to supply quality news and information to all our valuable readers day in, day out and we are committed to keep doing this. Your kind donation will help our continuous research efforts.

–

Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Email LinkedIn
Previous ArticleBorno Gov Backs Ndume, Vows to Oppose Tax Reform Bills with Northern Lawmakers
Next Article Chad Puts An End To Its Military And Defense Agreement With France

Related Posts

Baltasar Engonga, Sentenced To 8 Years Imprisonment For Embezzlement

August 27, 2025

Oyo Debunks Rumoured Closure of Bola Ige Int’l Business Complex

August 24, 2025

President Tinubu Urges Nigerians In Diaspora Not To Stay Away From Home, Says Nigeria Is On The Rise Again

August 21, 2025

Comments are closed.

Ads
Ads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
© 2025 Nigerian Alert. Designed by Samtech Media.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.