Close Menu
  • HOME
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Features
  • Security
  • Foreign News
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Divine Coincidence: Oyo NUJ Urges Prayer, Reflection as Ramadan, Lent begin
  • DSS Takes el-Rufai Into Custody from EFCC
  • Oyo NUJ Congratulates Speaker, Adebo Ogundoyin, at 39
  • Saudi Arabia Sights Moon For Ramadan, Fasting Begins On Wednesday 
  • Alleged $6bn Mambilla Power Fraud: FEC Directed Agunloye to Withdraw Award of Contract-Witness
  • INEC Fxes February 20, 2027 For Presidential Election
  • Nigerian Actor Survives Assasination Attempt
  • Kano Court Jails Kannywood Actress Six Months
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Nigerian Alert
  • HOME
  • News
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • Features
  • Security
  • Foreign News
Nigerian Alert
Home » CBN Orders Banks To Collect Old N500, N1,000 Notes

CBN Orders Banks To Collect Old N500, N1,000 Notes

Lekan Shobo ShobowaleBy Lekan Shobo ShobowaleFebruary 17, 20232 Mins Read
WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email Telegram LinkedIn
Share
WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Email LinkedIn Telegram
Top Ads ..

CBN Orders Banks To Collect Old N500, N1,000 Notes

Friday February 17th, 2023

The Central Bank of Nigeria has ordered banks to start collecting the old N500 and N1,000 notes from the public with immediate effect.

It however pegged the maximum amount the banks can collect at N500,000.

The CBN maintained that the old currencies were still no more legal tender.

A source from the bank said the CBN ordered the banks to collect the monies instead of going to the CBN office following difficulties encountered in getting access to the bank.

A CBN official said, “Go to your bank but fill the form before you go. Go with your reference code you generate. With your code, banks will collect it from you. But if it is more than 500,000, you will go to the CBN and deposit it.

Earlier, the CBN opened a portal on its website and made it mandatory for those willing to return old notes to fill and generate a code.

On Thursday, the CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, ordered the banks to make the old N200 notes available to Nigerians.

This was after the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), said the old N200 note would be legal tender till April 10, 2023, while urging Nigerians to deposit their old N500 and 1000 notes with the CBN.

However, protests which had been rocking different states over the scarcity of the new naira notes made the CBN order banks to collect higher denominations after meeting with Banks’s leaders.

Share. WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram Email LinkedIn
Previous ArticleCurrency Swap: Gbajabiamila Faults FG’s Disregard For Supreme Court Order
Next Article MR PRESIDENT SHOULD HALT THIS SEAMLESS DRIFT

Related Posts

Divine Coincidence: Oyo NUJ Urges Prayer, Reflection as Ramadan, Lent begin

February 18, 2026

DSS Takes el-Rufai Into Custody from EFCC

February 18, 2026

Oyo NUJ Congratulates Speaker, Adebo Ogundoyin, at 39

February 17, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Ads
Ads
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
© 2026 Nigerian Alert. Designed by Samtech Media.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.