Story By Akinola Emmanuel
The OSI BASORUN OF IBADAN LAND ,International Cardiovascular Surgeon ,Director Adeduntan cardiovascular and Diagnostic Centre(ACDC),DIrector,
Dr.Azeez Popoola Adeduntan Foundation(DAPAF), 2019 vetted and cleared OYO STATE APC GOVERNORSHIP ASPIRANT ,as well as former commissioner of health Oyo State -Chief Dr .azeez Adeduntan adds another laurel to his cap on Thursday, at the conference centre of OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY ,where he would be presented & conferred with the award of SOUTH WEST NIGERIA EXCELLENCE/Heroes trophy and cerififcate.
The award-merit based has no financial inducements,ethnic,tribal,& political coloration and came as pleasant surprise to the International Surgeon as he had no inkling that this was coming.
It will be recalled that a similar elevation by his IMPERIAL MAJESTY-the Olubadan of Ibadan land -OBA Saliu ADETUNJI to the title of OSI BASORUN OF IBADAN LAND for his meritorious services to Nigeria in general and Oyo state in particular, in and outside NIGERIA took place on November 21st 2019 at the Olubadan’s palace.
Who Is Chief Dr Azeez Popoola Adeduntan ?
Chief Dr. Azeez Popoola Adeduntan, is a 1981 distinction graduate of the University of Ife Medical School,Nigeria,a Columbia University Medical School graduate,New York,USA, a Harvard Medical School graduate, Boston,USA, a Vascular Surgeon, a General Surgeon,a Registered Vascular technologist(RVT) ,an entrepreneur, as well as a kind-hearted philanthropist.
Chief Dr. Adeduntan hails from Ibadan, Oyo State in Ibadan South West Local Government Ward 1 OLUPOYI’S COMPOUND OJA-OBA.
He had his high school education at African Church Grammar School, Ibadan, Nigeria, where he graduated as the Best All-round Student in 1972, with Division One and was the SENIOR PREFECT.
He won the Federal Government of Nigeria Scholarship for Medicine and proceeded to University of Ife (Now Obafemi Awolowo University) to study Medicine, graduating with distinction in 1981. Here again, he won the Best Student in Community Medicine Award, and the prestigious Lawrence Omole’s Prize for proficient students.
After his University education, he served his Housemanship at Adeoyo State Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria in 1982 and later became the Medical Officer of Health at Adeoyo State Hospital in 1983.
Chief Dr. Adeduntan left for the United States and attended the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University, Harlem Hospital Center, New York City, New York till 1993.
• He also attended Harvard Medical School Boston Massachusetts for fellowship training in Vascular Surgery till 1995.
Among his honors and awards are:
• 1995 – Harvard Chair- for outstanding performance during fellowship training Harvard Deaconess Surgical Service, Boston, Massachusetts.
• 1995 – Chairman’s Book-prize for excellent performance in Vascular fellowship training -Harvard Deaconess Surgical Service, Boston, Massachusetts.
• 1995 – Book-Prize for excellent academic performance by the Vascular Surgeons Harvard Medical School, Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, Massachusettes.
• 1993 – Director’s Book Prize for Excellent Academic Achievement Columbia University-Harlem Hospital Center, New-York.
• 1992 – Ranked 99th percentile surgical basic science in the 1992 American Board of Surgery In-Training Examination.
• 1991 – Ranked 98th percentile in the 1991 American Board of Surgery in-training examinations.
• 1987 – Citation as the Intern of the Year, Harlem Hospital Center, New York,USA.
• Dr. Azeez Adeduntan is a Fellow of American College of Surgeons (FACS), Fellow International College of Surgeons (FICS), Member Society for Vascular Surgery (SVS), Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery (SCVS), Peripheral Vascular Society (PVS), Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (SDMS), Atlanta Vascular Society, Georgia Vascular Society, Nigeria Medical Association (NMA) and has Primary Fellowship of The National Post Graduate Medical College of Nigeria in OB/GYN.
• He has contributed to knowledge and written many academic papers published in major academic journals.
• He has served as an Assistant Professor of Surgery, at Morehouse Medical School, Atlanta, Georgia and is currently the President, Chief Executive Officer, as well as Medical Director of RILGA LLC- a professional corporation in the USA; Director, Dr.Azeez Popoola Adeduntan Foundation (DAPAF),Director Adeduntan Cardiovascular and Diagnostic centre(ACDC) in Ibadan Nigeria, as well as Chairman and Publisher-Nigeria Alert Newspaper-https://www.nigerianalertng.com.
with numerous employees in Ibadan and USA.
• Dr. Adeduntan has made numerous Contributions/Service to the Nigerian Community at home and in Diaspora:
• He contributes yearly in cash,in scholarship awards to indigent,but brilliant students, in participation and in kind to Nigerian Women Association of Georgia (NWAG), and he is a Gold Sponsor, Otu Umunne Organization (Gold Sponsor), Obafemi Awolowo University Medical Students Journal Club, Contributes regularly to Omo Ajorosun Club Ibadan(member), Ibadan Solidarity Group(member), Ondo and Awe Descendants Union, Ibadan Descendants Union,USA, (member), Eko Club Atlanta, YORUBAS of Atlanta, St. Jude’s Children’s Fund Atlanta, Homeless shelter, Salvation Army Fund and has a Foundation for the less privileged, named after him in both Nigeria and USA-DR AZEEZ POPOOLA ADEDUNTAN FOUNDATION (DAPAF.www.dapaf.org) that cares for the less privileged with free health care at OLD IFE ROAD IBADAN NIGERIA and ATLANTA,USA.
• His accomplishments and contributions have been a shining example to succeeding generations of Nigerians at home and in Diaspora.
• For the above “sterling achievements”(AJIMOBI and the world at large) , Governor Abiola Ajimobi on June 17, 2016, appointed him as Commissioner of Health ,OYO STATE.
• As Commissioner Of Health in OYO STATE,DR ADEDUNTAN achievements- include ,but are not limited to the following:
A)DR.ADEDUNTAN facilitated through his wife and contacts,in the USA, the donation of 2 million dollars(about one billion Naira) worth of equipments, consumables and materials to OYO State Hospitals on March 22nd 2017, from the USA.
B)Facilitated and fast tracked , the development of HEALTH Insurance agency Board to help OYO State residents (poor and rich) with their medical needs.
c) Facilitated the effort to raise N50 Billion to transform Oyo state’s health care system with the largest donor(100million Naira) on August 3rd 2017 ,coming from his contacts in the USA .
D)Facilitated the bringing together of Primary Health centres under the same roof for ease of care in OYO State.
E)Facilitated the Federal GOVERNMENT approval to build a centre for labour and delivery complications(VESICO VAGINAL FISTULA CENTRE) in OYO STATE as the only centre for the six south western states.
E)Under his watch Malaria incidence in OYO STATE has been reduced to 43%.
F)OTHERS too numerous to mention.
✓ He’s been adjudged “Most Outstanding Commissioner in Governor Ajimobi’s cabinet – first By MISS OYO PAGENT-SILVERSTONE COMMUNICATION, on JANUARY 2nd 2017 with an award, and validated by GOVERNOR AJIMOBI himself on May 30th 2017, at the CIVIC CENTRE IBABAN during the flag off, of the Health Insurance Scheme.
✓ Most recently Dr.Adeduntan was adjudged as the BEST COMMISSIONER(regardless of portfolio) in THE SOUTH WEST REGION, BY ODUA AFFAIRS NEWS MAGAZINE in their special edition for September/October 2017.
• Dr. Adeduntan was the governorship candidate of the Labour Party in Oyo State in 2011.
• He was a governorship aspirant in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in 2015.
• Dr. Adeduntan was an aspirant in APC ,in the 2019 Governorship race in Oyo State.
• Dr.Adeduntan is a strong contender for OYO STATE GOVERNORSHIP IN YEAR 2023.