- Nigeria is the giant of Africa and one of the major decision-makers in West African politics. Nigeria is blessed with so many political strongholds that control the state of affairs of the nation. These are the most powerful and influential people in Nigerian politics.
The battle for the most powerful men in Nigerian politics has been a lifelong struggle since the Nigerian independence, no wonder there has always been power tussle which led to many coup d’etat in the past.
Now after over 20 years of celebrating the Nigerian democracy, here are some of the most powerful people in Nigerian politics.
1. Muhammadu Buhari: He is the president of the federal republic of Nigeria, he calls most of the shots, he was an ex-military head of state turned civilian president. He has a strong political influence In west Africa and even at the African Union. He is the slayer of other politicians, he takes no-nonsense. He is the boss and he acts it, some have accused him of abuse of power and fundamental human rights violation. He is not moved and he has achieved a great feat in the fight against terrorism in Nigeria. One of his goals is to end corruption in Nigeria.
2. Yemi Osibanjo: He is a lawyer and he plays a major role in the presidency, He is the initiator of the N power and the TraderMone where graduates are provided with jobs and where market women are given petty loans to help their businesses. He is also Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), he is a pastor and he is the number two citizen of the federal republic of Nigeria. He runs the show whenever the president is not around.
3. Bola Ahmed Tinubu: Tinubu is not just a politician but is the Ronaldo and Messi of the Nigerian politics, no wonder he has been nicknamed the Jagaban, he is the master chess player in the Nigerian politics. He is a Kingmaker, a president maker and he has installed and removed so many politicians through his dogged tactics. He is an ex-governor of Lagos State and an ex-senator of the federal republic of Nigeria. He has so much influence, power, wealth and significance. Let’s just say he runs the show.
4. Olusegun Obasanjo :Olusegun Obasanjo was an ex-military head of state, a former general and an ex civilian president of the federal republic of Nigeria. He has so much influence that he is well respected throughout Africa and the world in general. Obasanjo is a politician, an author, a political mathematician and a kingmaker. He is that one person that they call when African International politics is at stake.
5. Adams Oshomole: He was the former head of the Nigerian labour congress and now the National Chairman of the All Progressive Congress (APC). He is one of those strong men you do not want to be in their black book, he runs the show at APC and he is so powerful and calls the shot at the APC. Adams Oshiomole was an ex-Governor of Edo State a state in which he still has so much political influence.
6. Abba Kyari: Another man that has all of a sudden become so powerful is the Nigerian Chief of Staff Abba Kyari. He runs the show at Aso rock and all the ministers of the Federal Republic of Nigeria report to him and he is one of the President’s most trusted adviser. Some people even claimed he holds more power than the number two citizens of the federal republic of Nigeria, the vice president. A claim which the presidency had denied however some recent events have raised eyebrows which has raised the question if he was more powerful than the vice president in the helm of affairs.
7. Aliko Dangote:Aliko Dangote is not a politician, he doesn’t interfere in politics but he is the richest man in Africa and the richest black man alive. He has always been neutral to the political affairs of this nation, he is the man that lives by the Buhari slogan, I belong to everybody and I belong to nobody. He is a political cash cow that provides funding and supports virtually all political party election irrespective of their affiliation. No wonder he gets monopoly to run some business investments. He played a major role during the transition from the Jonathan regime to the Buhari regime.
8. Tukur Buratai:This is the strongest man in the Nigerian military, he is the chief of Army Staff, he is a lieutenant and one of the tactical men in the fight against insurgency in Nigeria. He is one of the most powerful people in Nigeria ensuring peace and stability in the Nigerian political class. He might not be a politician but he plays a major role in Nigerian politics.
9. Atiku Abubakar:He is the former vice president of the federal republic of Nigeria. He is a billionaire and one of the strongest people in the Nigerian political sector. He is also eyeing the number one slot and he ran against Muhammadu Buhari where he lost the election. He is a man to be feared due to his political significance in Nigeria. Atiku Abubakar has remained relevant in Nigerian politics.